History Airport in Prague
The Prague - Ruzyne Airport began operation on April 5, 1937, this date being the very beginning of the airport history. The airport has excellent location both with respect to short distance from the center of Prague and within the European area. Moreover, the Ruzyne fields provide opportunities for further expansion of the airport according to the increasing capacity demand. The airport serves as a hub of the trans-European airport network.
An anonymous public tender has been announced in 1931 for a complete airport solution including the budget. The airport area in Prague was located 10 km West from the Prague city centre in the average latitude of 363 meters. Of the total area of 108 hectares, 35 hectares were built on. The runway system consisted of grassy starting and landing lanes.
The basic development began on July 4, 1933. The landscaping took eleven months. The contractors were allowed to use only limited mechanization, as one of the objectives of the airport development was to reduce unemployment. The development took 44 months and the airport was completed on March 1, 1937 including excellent parameters and equipment.
The Czechoslovakia occupation in 1939 and the war slowed down the air transportation in such extent that the airport was back at the beginning in 1945. The Prague-Ruzyne airport re-launched civil aviation again in June 1945, although with some limitations.
Interesting Data - Airport in Prague:
- In the course of existence of Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic, the state administration and the name of the Republic has been changed 11 times.
- The Czech aviation Code has been 9 times
- The ministries responsible for the civil aviation were headed by 30 ministers
- The Department for civil aviation was gradually headed by 15 directors, Chiefs of section or ministerial counselors
- Since the existence of the Civil Aviation Supervision Authority (as of January 1, 1965 the State Aviation Inspection Authority, as of April 1, 1997, the Civil Aviation Authority), 8 CEOs have been at the helm of these offices
- 17 CEOs were appointed since the launch of operation of the Prague-Ruzyně Airport
Statistics - Airport in Prague
- 1963 – l mil. passengers (after 34 years)
- 1975 – 2 mil. passengers (in 12 years)
- 1995 – 3 mil. passengers (in 20 years)
- 1997 – 4 mil. passengers (in 2 years)
- 2000 – 5 mil. passengers (in 3 years)
- 2001 – 6 mil. passengers (in l years)
- 2003 – 7 mil. passengers (in 2 years)
- 2005 – 10 mil. passengers
Car hire in Prague Airport
- guaranteed free upgrades in Prague Airport
- 15% discount on a Mercedes-Benz or luxury car
- book early and save up to 10% on Car
- FREE 7-Day in Prague Airport
- pay 1 day - car hire 3 days
Travel information for hire car in Prague Airport:
- Travel & Driving Information for hire car in Prague Airport
- Get the information you need from our car rental guides before you rent a car.
- Each guide has location specific driving and rental car fleet information to help you plan your trip.
- Our guides feature cities in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and more countries.